Environment and ecology:
- Water and environment quality studies.
- Presence of toxic phytoplankton and other pathogens (micro and microscopic) abundance, population dynamics and possible effect on aquaculture cultures.
- Minimizing negative environmental factors over aquaculture facilities.
- Physical and chemical processes and their environmental effect on aquaculture cultures.
- Environmental impact of aquaculture facilities. Possibilities of minimization.
- Feeding ecology, morphology and morphometry of the digestive tract, reproductive biology (macro and microscopic aspects) of Mediterranean fish species.
Zootechnics and alternative cultures:
- Zootechnics and growth of bivalve molluscs and marine gastropods and echinoderms.
- Extensive farming techniques
- Zootechnics in new species
- Aquaponic cultures
- Reproductive and metabolic nutritional crustacean studies.
Farming systems engineering:
- New materials for aquaculture facilities.
- RAS hydrodynamic circuits.
Society, economy and market:
- Consumer perception studies.
- Tasting panels
- Market studies and financial feasibility technology.
- Processing aquaculture final product and its diversification
- Aquaculture products new presentations
- Study of environmental and endocrine factors determining sex in fish farming.
- Control sex determination in sea bass. Patented.
- Epigenetic factors affecting ontogeny.
- Spermatogenesis hormonal regulation.
- Working with Zebrafish as a model of reproduction experiments.
- Gametogenesis of fish, molluscs and crustaceans.
Animal health and welfare
- Prophylaxis, detection and appropriate treatment of diseases in aquatic organisms. Specialized in Mediterranean commercial species.
- Histology and histopathology of species of interest in aquaculture and its development during larval and adult stages.
- Animal welfare study in fish farming based on the study of specific indicators and taking into consideration the rearing conditions.
- Nanoparticle formulations as a carrier for vaccine/immunostimulants/drug treatments for commercial fish species.
Physiology and Immunology:
- Study of the particularities of the innate immune system of the fish in order to develop more effective therapeutic treatments. Studies based mainly on macrophages.
Metabolism and nutrition:
- Energetic and intermediary metabolism related to nutrition, using stable isotopes among other compounds.
- Enzymatic and methabolits oxidative stress and protein replacement.
- Replacement of food components.
- Optimizing fish feed to achieve a physiological improvement.
- Growth regulation and development in cultured fish.
- Adaptive mechanisms description at cellular and molecular levels that occur in skeletal and cardiac muscle in response to contractile activity induced by fish swimming activity.
Aquaculture of native fresh water species. Biology, ecology, behavior and conservation:
- Biology, ecology and behavior of freshwater fish species.
- River barriers and other anthropogenic activities impact (extraction of aggregates, pollution, fishing and introduction of exotic species) on native fish populations (genetic and ecological level).
- Animal welfare and behavior evaluated in laboratory conditions.
- Conservation of endangered species and the environment using rearing technics under controlled conditions.
Biology, histopathology and reproduction of molluscs and crustaceans:
- Evaluation of the reproductive health of molluscs and crustaceans using optical and electronic microscopy techniques.
Fish parasitology and water quality:
- Identification and parasitic treatment on fish organisms and aquaculture facilities.
- Parasitic infections prevention in aquaculture facilities.
- Optical microscopy, electronics and biology techniques, molecular (FISH, PCR, NGS...).
- Water analysis and treatment using electrode specific techniques, spectroscopy, microscopy and flow cytometry.